Monday 14 March 2011

Exhibition Strategies

When I first started to engage with the rough film that I had taken over the summer I didn't know/remember what I had filmed. This gave me a bank of material that I could look at with fresh eyes but that could possibly be worthless. As I started to edit my way through I found a mixture of glimpses and atmospheric fragments. It is from these two types of film that the Cana series has developed, I was both making video's that held moments and created new ones. Cana and ADP were both pieces that felt that they held immersive qualities, both equally being about memory yet creating new moments within themselves. The glimpse work comes through with Baseball and Piana, they feel more like portraits of moments between moments. A tutor told me that he felt like Piana was more like a painting which I was happy to agree with. The latest one 'Drive' (it's rough title) is somewhere in the middle. Both playing with moments in time and evolving into a new moment which holds a more immersive stance towards the end. The one factor they all share is that they have a hypnotic quality and stem from the mundane.

These two types of film are very different from one another and both hold qualities that I'm very interested in. When I first made the first Cana film I was encouraged to continue to make films from the raw footage. By doing this I explored new ideas, learnt new techniques and started understanding the work in a more thought out and personal way. By the same token I realised that by talking to people about the work and showing them these shorts that they were obviously having different insights and reactions to the work, which in term informed my work more.

I'm now in a position where I have made the five video's and I have my exhibition space and it's now what strategies I put in place as to which pieces I show and which I don't. Which pieces hold my ideas best and which ones work well with each other. This process is something that I find most interesting in other artists but struggle to do it myself. It's a technique that I am keen to implement with the Cana series as I feel if I was to show them all they wouldn't create a solid body they would be fragments off the core of the idea. My initial idea of what will work best together is "Cana" and "Drive" (Rough title). They both work individually but I think that together that work well off of each other both harmonising and standing their own with different elements to both. Both travelling pieces of footage but both immersive and their own entities in their own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment